Have you ever asked yourself which are top cinemas in South Africa? We have decided to compile a list of top South African cinemas that you can choose from.
The cinema industry in South Africa is only dominated by two movie giants which are Nu Metro and Ster-Kinekor. Originating in 1969, Ster-Kinekor was the result of 20th Century Fox selling off its theatre division to Sanlam. The first Metro Theatre opened in Johannesburg in 1932. It was started by the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio.
The oldest cinema still running in Nu Metro’s current chain is Bedford, which opened in 1972 as Metro Bedfordview. Metro Theatres was only renamed Nu Metro Theatres in 1988.
If you are looking for the perfect outing with that special someone in your life, you can pay these mainstream cinemas a visit.
Movie genres shown in South African cinemas
- Action movies – Action movie is a film genre in which the protagonist or protagonists are thrust into a series of challenges that typically include violence, extended fighting, physical feats, and frantic chases.
- Horror movies – A horror movie is a film that seeks to elicit fear. Horror movies involve ghosts, extraterrestrials, vampires, werewolves, demons, Satanism, evil clowns, gore, torture, vicious animals, evil witches, monsters, zombies, cannibalism, psychopaths, natural or man-made disasters, and serial killers.
- Comedy – Comedy is a genre of film in which the main emphasis is on humour. These movies are created to make people laugh.
- Adventure – Adventure films are a genre of film that typically use their action scenes to display and explore exotic locations in an energetic way
- Crime and Gangster – Crime and Gangster movies are films created around the sinister actions of criminals or gangsters. This includes bankrobbers, drugs, stealing and violence.
- Drama – A drama film is a movie that is created to narrate fiction or semi-fiction. These movies are more serious than humorous in tone. They tell real stories.
- Historical and Epics – Epics are historical films that recreate past events.
- Musicals and Dance – Musical and Dance movies are movie genres in which songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied by dancing.
- War – War movies are movies concerned with warfare, typically about naval, air, or land battles, with combat scenes central to the drama
Popular South African cinemas
- Nu Metro Cinemas – Nu Metro Cinemas is a South African cinema company. Its head office is in Dunkeld West, Gauteng. Nu Metro’s history dates to when the first Metro Theatre opened in Johannesburg in 1932.
- Ster-Kinekor Cinemas – Ster Kinekor is a South Africa-based cinema company. Its head office is in the Ster-Kinekor Office Park in Sandton, City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality.
Nu Metro offers the following four types of cinemas:
- Standard – 2D and 3D
- Scene VIP
- Scene Xtreme
Ster-Kinekor offers the following five types of cinemas:
- Cine Prestige
- IMAX – 2D and 3D
- Kids Cinema
Ster-Kinekor’s growing chain of kids’ cinemas are dedicated to providing children with an exceptional experience: a special waiting area keeps children entertained with activities, while inside the cinema, colourful beanbag seating, an indoor slide and a ball pool keep them busy and happy until their movie starts. Ster-Kinekor has kids cinemas Centurion Mall, Fourways Mall, Sandton City and East Rand Mall.
Image Courtesy: Google